Thursday 5 November 2009

Hello there, you!





So...


I thought I would join the revolution and start up a blog seeing as it's Thursday, question times on and it is the right thing to do. Although I do wonder at what point something ceases to be a revolution and becomes the norm? I suppose once CNN and Sky News start awkwardly quoting it on their headline news around some crime or pointless life story belonging more to channel 4. Where was I again? Ah yes, the purpose of this blog...


Which is in fact to glorify food!! Yes Oliver Twist couldn't have said it better; Food glorious food we're happy to try it! Well at least I certainly am anyway, but I could argue speak for the human condition which depends on food to survive. I mean if you don't eat feel free to hit the "x" on the top right, if you do then well I would read, share, like, twit, fart whatever takes your fancy this. But that's just me...


So... (we're getting there) I have decided to embark upon a journey. A journey which may take me to some dark scary places, scintillating peaks and many a toilet seat but alas all for the good of bringing you, the public, the Lo down (or is it Down lo?). Care to join me? We will peak into the common spots people like to splash their £2 on "Texas" chicken and chips, to the not so common spots for the "finest" cuisine, generating the most honest recommendations to help you avoid wasting money in the midst of the recession and enriching unscrupulous kitchens.


So... third time lucky, tonight I embarked upon my first review on an eatery establishment; "Eko Wine Bar and Resturant" on Homerton High St, located in the belly of Hackney. They are a relatively new Nigerian cuisine restaurant offering both eat-in and take-away services, offering a range of well known and celebrated dishes fresh out of the Nigerian nation.


One would assume therefore that operating out of one of London's "African Islands" the wisdom to produce tasty, mouth stimulating food akin to that used to by the general ex patriate populous would take the higher priority over aesthetic style. Wrong.


The venue is spacious upon entry, fitting for small parties and group dinners. The decor is moderate and understated creating a relaxing feel and flat screen televisions adorn the walls ensuring that one never feels bored should the urge come to stare into nothingness. (This in the absence of any notable art). The staff welcoming and friendly with a positive charming demeanour. (Although it could've being my cologne brought earlier on in the day... although one suspects this may have generated the opposite response. Hmmm.) Overall the decor and feel of Eko can not be faulted.


As sure you saw coming as a Michael Jackson Movie, HOWEVER!


The food left one not panting for more, or even water, but looking for the nearest fire exit to make a quick getaway without parting with your money. I chose to have a stab at the Suya (£6) and Assorted meat dish (£)10. Stab was an apt term. Granted Suya is a dish which if cooked correctly as some manage to do leaves little room for competitors... however this was the equivalent of this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uny_Vm7P3w running against Colin Jackson. Some hurdles however favourable just couldn't be over come.


The portions seemed padded out, not very convincingly, while the flavour left little to the imagination. No wait... yep nothing. Bland, lacking spice and for the price, one would expect far far more. Very disappointing. Could have used some more onions and marination, but I will move onto...


The assorted meat.


Assortment: a collection containing a variety of related but varying items.


Note the word Variety.


There were in fact only 2 types of meat and one mystery. Disappointingly no tripe (Shaki) which is a staple in any Nigerian mixed platter and again more padding out with stew and the "Mystery Meat" which I believe was snail, but I'll leave that up to Mi5 and Jack Bauer to investigate. Their website states they only use the freshest of ingredients from Nigeria, yet the flavour was again bland suggesting consistency in production or even fridge-freezing while the presentation left a lot to be desired.


I'll conclude here as I didn't want to open up with a restaurant bashing, but like love for a child, my love for good food ensures standards are maintained... honestly! Eko has great potential, it is in a prime location for its market and the environment is welcoming and comfortable. However more effort must be made in ensuring it doesn't take this for granted and allow its kitchen standards to drop upon the reliance of regulars accustomed to their tastes.


I must give a rating without having a power trip... 55% Gourmet-able.


Thanks for the read, now go dip into your mothers fridge.


Restaurant: Eko Wine Bar and Restaurant.

Location: 160 Homerton High Road, London, E9 6JA.

Website: http://www.ekorestaurant.co.uk

Contact: 0208 985 7345

Opening Times: Variable

Transport: Reasonable Parking in surrounding area. No controlled Parking zones. Nearest Public Transport includes Homerton and Hackney Rail Station. I recommend private transportation.


**I promise it won't be as long again, in fact I can guarantee it. Because I don't have the time, nor the power nap power. Plus intro's are always like that aren't they? hmmm.**

No comments:

Post a Comment